Listen to the Classic Car Round-Up Sundays from 10AM - 11AM
Many of you may remember Joe Cali from his Left Turn, Right Turn column in Gater Racing News in the '70s and early '80s. During his years with Gater, Joe covered all types of racing from the local Dirt Track scene to NASCAR, INDY and Formula 1. Joe has covered races at most of the major circuits in the U.S. and Canada and in Europe including the 24 hours of Lemans in France, Nurgergring 1000 Kilometers in Germany and the Grand Prix of Italy at Monza.
In addition to his work with Gater, Joe did photography for Castrol, Porsche and B.F. Goodrich. His photos have appeared in a number of books. In fact, he is now working with Matt Stone, the editor of Motor Trends, on a book called Winning, The Racing Career of Paul Newman and a book of his own on the sport of Motorized Firematics.
In the early '80s, Cali was the public relations person at Brewerton Speedway and in 1984, along with Don McGee, founded the Empire Super Sprints.
Joe is a regular participant at car shows and cruise nights in the the Central New York area with his '73 Mercedes 280 C Coupe and his '65 Porsche 912. He also has a '71 Triumph Spitfire and a '60 MGA (actually, that's his wife, Sue's car). Joe is a member of the MG Car Club of Central New York and the Central New York Region of the Porsche Club of America.
Call Joe Cali's Classic Car Round-Up: 315-421-3925
Greater Central New York Cruise Nights
- Bob Barker's Hot Dogs, Court Street, Syracuse. 5:00pm. Music, Raffles & 50/50 for Vera House
- Conella's BBQ, West Manlius Street, East Syracuse. Starts after Memorial Day
- Manlius Car Club, behind Sno-Top Ice Cream, Route 92 Manlius
- Dunkin Donuts, 36 North Street, Dryden. 50/50 raffle. 5:00 - 9:00pm
- Skan-Ellus Drive-In, Esat Genesee Street Road, Skaneateles. Free ice cream and nightly drawings for participants. 5:00pm
- The Soda Fountain Diner, Main Street, Remsen. Brand new 50's style diner. 50/50 raffles with proceeds going to the Wounded Veterans Foundation.
- Chapmen Park, Route 31 East of Bridgeport
- Bailey's Dairy Treat Ice Cream, South Salina Street, Nedrow
- 1881 Steakhouse, County Route 1 (East of Oswego). 6:00pm til dusk. Each vehicle gets a ticket good for food off the grill. DJ, prizes give at the end of the season (Labor Day)
- Nice & Easy, Route 31, Clay NY. Prizes and music
- Cort Lanes Bowling Alley, Tompkins Street, Cortland. July 12th & 26th, August 9th & 23rd.
- Dave's Diner, State Route 5, Schyler. Music, prizes, giveaways and grilled food
- DB's Drive-In Ice Cream Route 31, Weedsport.
- Larkin's Diner State Street, Phoenix. Music, food and giveaways.
- Gander Mountain Ron Van Allen's Wednesday night Cruise will be next to the Cracker Barrel Restaurant in North Syracuse
- Caz Cruise Nights Main Street, Cazenovia
- Log Cabin Restaurant West Walworth Road, Macedon
- 4 Seasons Pizza Marcy Town Center. 6:00pm - dusk
- Sylvan Beach Cars on the Beach. Route 31 in the Village
- Bella Domani East Taft Road. 5:00pm - dusk. BBQ for $6/7 with music & 50/50 raffles
- Wegmans Canandaigua Route 31 & Eastern Boulevard. 5:00 - 9:00p
- Saint John's Church, East Dominick Street, Rome. Music and food. Hosted by Tappet Twirlers
- Power House Hot Rods Route 49. Food, soda compliments of Power House
- Sweet Inspirations Every Saturday night in a Cruise Night,
- Zems Ice Cream, Main and Hickory Street, Canastota. 5:00 - 9:00pm